Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Thunderstorms & Gator

Last night Ohio was hit hard by one of the biggest storms we've had in years. Hour after hour of rolling thunder, lightning lit up the sky, and huge thunderclaps woke us up several times. Many areas were under tornado watches and warnings.

Most of the dogs handled it pretty well, but around the time the electricity went off at 3am, I woke up to Gator starting to panic. He tried to put on a calm front, but the storm brought back memories of his time in Louisiana and Texas during hurricane Katrina. He abandoned his post at the foot of the bed and backed his hiney up into my armpit so he had the security of me behind him and could still keep an eye on the windows to see all that was going on. He obsessively licked any part of my arms or feet that popped out from under the blanket. He watched the storm with his radar ears following its every nuance, and although he was stiffly awaiting the thunderclaps, they still managed to take him by surprise as he jumped up off the bed.

So we were up together from 3am to 7am when the worst of the storms finally passed. After all my sweet boy has done to protect me and the other females in the house, it was the least I could do for him.

No comments: